In July, 1915, a remarkable happening occurred in a field on the east side of what is now called Perkins Street. About halfway down “Clay Hill”, in James W. Smith’s field, a tent was pitched for a gospel revival. Skeptical though they were, the town turned out to see what this was all about. Hungry hearts heeded the invitation to come pray for a new experience. To their amazement, after repenting and asking God for this great gift, they began to speak in other tongues as God gave the evidence that His Spirit was coming to live within. Pentecost had come to DeQuincy.
God moved on Uncle Jim Smith about a location for a permanent church building. He donated a plot of land on the southwest corner of his property which is now known as 230 Smith Street. Fleming T. (Uncle Tom) Smith had a building erected and donated it to the congregation in 1916. The building was unique due to the fact that it had twelve sides, which some thought represented the twelve Apostles.
Rev. Robert L. LaFleur was the first pastor of the work here, beginning in late 1915. In 1936, under Rev. E. L. Cox’s leadership, the twelve-sided building was torn down and replaced by a modern two-story wood frame building. During the pastorate of Rev. A. D. Varnado from 1944 to 1952, the church was enlarged to include a fellowship hall, kitchen, and a two-story addition for Sunday School rooms. In February of 1960, under the pastorate of Rev. M. C. Geuin, a modern brick auditorium was built.
Elder T. D. Cardwell pastored here from August 1965 until his retirement in December of 2002, for a total of 37 1/2 years. During his pastorate, in 1966, a west educational wing was built which housed a kitchen, fellowship hall, offices, Sunday School rooms, and evangelists’ quarters. In 1973 an east educational wing was built, a new parsonage erected, additional parking was added and the old two-story building was torn down. In the mid 1980s a family life center was built which consists of a half court gymnasium, a large dining hall, kitchen, and storage. The shed that houses our church vans and a vehicle wash rack was erected in 1993. Numerous houses and tracts of land were purchased during this time also.
On Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2012, our present pastor Rev. Carlton (Carlie) Jackson, was elected as pastor of First United Pentecostal Church of DeQuincy. After receiving his call into the ministry in 1984, Rev. Jackson began to assist his pastor Rev. Lynn Jones of Longville Pentecostal Church. After meeting his wife, Dana Ramirez of Moss Bluff (she was a member of Eastwood Pentecostal Church where the late Rev. Murrell Ewing was pastor), they were married on Aug. 12, 1989. In 1991, the Jackson Family was elected pastor of Fields United Pentecostal Church.
On Sunday, Aug. 3, 2008, under the pastorate of the late Rev. Wayne Cardwell, an official groundbreaking service for our current sanctuary and office complex was held. The construction of this facility began in September of 2008. With the unified effort of this local assembly and the help and guidance of the Lord, we were blessed to be able to march into our current facility on Sunday, Sept. 20, 2009. Our new building houses our auditorium, which seats approximately 800, offices, a nursery, a choir rehearsal room and two large prayer rooms.
Our church has a large and active youth department with on-going scheduled activities. The youth of our church have participated in Bible Quiz events for many years, studying the Word of God and traveling to both state and national tournaments. Many lives have been touched by our other ministries and outreach programs that include local hospital visitation, nursing home service, bus ministry, and a talented puppet team. Our church supports both home and foreign missionaries. From 1995 to 2006, Rev. Jackson and his family were missionaries for the United Pentecostal Church International. They served in the countries of Guatemala, Cental America; Uruguay, South America and the Windward Islands. In July 2010, they were elected Pastor of North Orange United Pentecostal Church, in Orange, Texas.
We have many fundraisers throughout the year such as our monthly barbecue dinners and our mouth-watering hamburgers that are sold at our booth at the Louisiana Railroad Days Festival.
Our church strongly believes in one eternal God and the Bible plan of salvation which includes repentance, water baptism in the name of Jesus, and the in-filling of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance, then living a godly, separated life.
We celebrated our 100th anniversary September 4-6, 2015. Rev. Kevin Cox, Rev. Greg Frazier and Rev. T. F. Tenney led in worship and remembrance of 100 years of faith, hope and revival.
Our regularly scheduled services are held on Sundays at 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., and Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. Children’s Church is also held on Wednesdays from 8:00- 9:00 p.m. We extend an open invitation to everyone to come and worship with us and enjoy the wonderful experience of Pentecost. A place where people still dance, shout, run, jump, and express their love for God, a safe haven where lives can be changed and restored by a loving and merciful Savior, whose name is Jesus.
- R. L. LaFleur, 1915-1925.
- Eddie Browning, 1925- 1926.
- Sam Henderson, 1926.
- C. M. Hayes, 1926-1927.
- Dallas Hayes, 1927-1929.
- Charlie Smith, 1929- 1930.
- S. F. Self, 1930-1933.
- C. M. Gross, 1933-1935
- Samuel Jacobs, 1935- 1936.
- E. L. Cox, 1936-1944.
- A. D. Varnado, 1944-1952.
- Hulon Myre, 1952-1957.
- M. C. Geuin, 1958-1963.
- J. E. Burgess, 1963-1965.
- T. D. Cardwell, 1965-2002.
- Wayne Cardwell, 2003-2012.
Lord, as of old, at Pentecost,
Thou didst Thy power display,
With cleansing, purifying flame,
Descend on us today.
Lord, send the old-time power, the Pentecostal power!
Thy floodgates of blessing, on us throw open wide!
Lord, send the old-time power, the Pentecostal power!
That sinners be converted and Thy Name glorified!
For mighty works for Thee, prepare
And strengthen every heart;
Come, take possession of Thine own,
And never more depart.
All self consume, all sin destroy!
With earnest zeal endue
Each waiting heart to work for Thee;
O Lord, our faith renew!
Speak, Lord! before
Thy throne we wait,
Thy promise we believe,
And will not let Thee go until
The blessing we receive.